FreeFrom is looking for a Systems Change Senior Program Manager for a full-time position based in Los Angeles, California.
The FreeFrom team is made up of queer, trans, im/migrant, and BIPOC survivors. We envision a world in which all survivors are able to build the wealth and financial security necessary to support their individual, intergenerational, and community healing—enabling them to thrive.
At FreeFrom, we are already modeling the types of comprehensive support we are setting out to achieve through this work. We are committed to the financial security of survivors by paying all staff living-wage salaries, providing flexible work schedules, offering financial coaching and a savings matching program, designing survivor-informed practices, and actively engaging staff in the development of new policies and best practices. Starting from within, we are building an ecosystem of support rooted in respect for the wisdom of survivors who always know best what we need and how to innovate solutions to meet those needs.
FreeFrom is also a team of nimble innovators. We intentionally cultivate a spirit of creativity and experimentation in our work, understanding that we must be willing to try new approaches and apply new frameworks in order to solve a systemic problem like intimate partner violence.
About the Position
FreeFrom is looking for a Systems Change Senior Program Manager to coordinate strategies within our systems change work and take our impact to the next level. An ideal applicant is a strategic and creative “big thinker” with significant writing experience who is skilled at supervising others and coordinating simultaneous initiatives. The Systems Change Senior Program Manager should be able to communicate – both in writing and orally – about complex and nuanced topics in a clear and accessible way, and should be a skilled editor of others’ writing. The Systems Change Senior Program Manager should also thrive in a fast-paced and nimble environment, and be willing to iterate approaches where needed.
Whether it is coordinating our federal-level and private sector systems change strategies to reach our overarching systems change objectives; developing and iterating FreeFrom’s narrative approaches to the problem and solutions through report writing and editing; supervising the work of the Federal Policy and Advocacy Specialist and Systems Change Program Specialist; or working with the Director of Systems Change Initiatives to identify overarching goals and strategies; this position is for someone who is excited to leverage new and innovative approaches to change the way the federal government and private sector can and should support survivors of gender-based violence.
Applications will be considered as they are submitted. Our positions remain open until filled.
- Develop and implement systems change goals and strategies
- In collaboration with the Director of Systems Change Initiatives, identify overarching systems change priorities
- In collaboration with the Director of Systems Change Initiatives, identify multifaceted strategies for how to achieve priorities
- Identify, join, and participate in any useful strategic coalitions
- Create and lead coalitions where needed
- Speak publicly about FreeFrom’s work and strategies
- Work with other FreeFrom team members to develop advocacy campaigns around systems change goals
- Manage and lead campaigns related to systems change goals
- Work with other FreeFrom team members to develop social media and other communications regarding strategies and campaigns
- Track and manage leads, connections, and other leverage opportunities to advance systems change goals
- Lead on major report writing
- Work with the Director of Systems Change Initiatives to develop org-wide narrative via major reports
- Plan, coordinate, and oversee FreeFrom’s major report-writing projects (2-3 per year)
- Act as main editor of major reports, including supervising first draft writers, reviewing and providing feedback,
- Coordinate with Lead Designer and other team members as needed to keep report development on track to meet timelines
- Supervise Federal Policy and Advocacy Specialist and Systems Change Program Specialist
- Supervise and coordinate systems change work in both federal and private sector space
- Conduct regular check-ins to ensure colleagues have the support and information they need to succeed
- Otherwise work on and support broader systems change goals and strategies as needed
Qualifications / Requirements
- 4+ years relevant work experience preferred;
- Experience as lead writer and/or editor on 2+ major reports;
- Experience successfully and compassionately supervising a colleague;
- Strategic project management experience (i.e., coordinating multiple initiatives to advance overarching goals) preferred;
- Ability to communicate – both in writing and orally – complex and nuanced topics in an accessible way;
- Strong strategic and creative thinking and planning skills and a track record of innovation;
- Self-directed and excited to work in a nimble, innovative environment;
- Strong people skills, emotional intelligence, and ability to collaborate and work well with others;
- Outstanding speaking and interpersonal communication skills (written and oral);
- Must bring enthusiasm, creativity, patience, and flexibility to the work;
- Excellent organizational skills, with high accuracy and attention to detail;
- Ability to work quickly and adapt to evolving strategies and circumstances;
- Commitment to FreeFrom’s mission, innovation, and the highest standards of activism; and
- Ability to speak, hear, and understand speech at normal room levels
Qualifications and requirements are not intended to exclude any candidates but rather give candidates an idea of what skills and abilities would help them excel in this position. Candidates do not have to meet all requirements and qualifications to apply if you believe you have the skill, experience, and passion to do this job.
How to Apply
Send a descriptive cover letter, resume, the contact information for 3 personal or professional references, and a writing sample that you either wrote or edited (e.g., a report, policy brief / recommendations, an op-ed, etc.) to Sonya Passi, Founder and CEO, via email at: email@example.com in a single PDF attachment with the subject line “Systems Change Senior Program Manager”. Please include your name and preferred pronouns on all documents. Please speak to how your experience and qualifications match what we are looking for in this role in your cover letter. Please also note: we will not contact your references without notifying you first.
Folks who are queer, trans, non-binary, people of color, disabled, parents, are/have been system impacted, are immigrants, and anyone who has experienced systemic oppression or gender-based violence are encouraged to apply.
We also encourage you to apply if this job sounds like a good fit for you and vice versa, even if you don’t feel as if you meet all the qualifications/requirements.
Los Angeles, CA
- Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, beginning on June 6, 2022
- Anticipated start date: This position will remain open until filled. We are looking to fill the position immediately.
Exempt, full-time position
Salary and Benefits
- Benefits include:
- 100% covered health, vision and dental insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- 4-day work week
- Childcare support
- Gender-based violence paid and protected leave
- Unlimited paid vacation + 6 weeks office closures annually
- Unlimited menstrual leave
- 401k with a 5% employer match
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability
- Building wealth stipend
- Personal and professional growth stipend
- Technology stipend
- Vacation stipend
- Additional optional benefits including legal, accident and pet insurance
Position Reports To
Director of Systems Change Initiatives