FreeFrom is looking for a Director of Development for a full-time remote position in the U.S.
FreeFrom is a national organization founded in 2016 and based in Los Angeles, whose mission is to dismantle the nexus between gender-based violence and financial insecurity. FreeFrom believes in the creativity, resourcefulness, and power that each survivor has to achieve financial independence and to build communities that support individual, intergenerational, and collective healing. We also believe that gender-based violence is a systemic problem in our society which we are severely lacking the infrastructure to address. FreeFrom’s work is to create that infrastructure, by:
- growing the capacity of the anti-violence movement;
- supporting survivors with emergency cash grants and our Savings Matching Program;
- building tech resources for survivors;
- creating peer networks that facilitate survivors’ collective power building;
- changing existing laws and advocating for the passage of new, survivor-centered laws at the state and federal level;
- expanding the data and research that exists to support the field;
- and bringing in employers, banks, and other institutions as part of the ecosystem working to support survivors’ financial security and safety.
Visit our website to learn more about FreeFrom – www.freefrom.org
FreeFrom’s Work Culture
The FreeFrom team is made up of queer, trans, im/migrant, and BIPOC survivors. We envision a world in which all survivors are able to build the wealth and financial security necessary to support their individual, intergenerational, and community healing—enabling them to thrive.
At FreeFrom, we are already modeling the types of comprehensive support we are setting out to achieve through this work. We are committed to the financial security of survivors by paying all staff living-wage salaries, providing flexible work schedules, offering a building wealth stipend, unlimited menstrual leave and other benefits, designing survivor-informed practices, and actively engaging staff in the development of new policies and best practices. Starting from within, we are building an ecosystem of support rooted in respect for the wisdom of survivors who always know best what we need and how to innovate solutions to meet those needs.
FreeFrom is also a team of nimble innovators. We intentionally cultivate a spirit of creativity and experimentation in our work, understanding that we must be willing to try new approaches and apply new frameworks in order to solve a systemic problem like gender-based violence.
- 4-day work week
- Unlimited paid vacation + vacation stipend
- 8 weeks office closures annually
- Building wealth stipend
- Personal and professional growth stipend
- Gender-based violence paid and protected leave
- Technology stipend
- Unlimited menstrual leave
- 401k with a 5% employer match
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability
- 100% covered health, vision and dental insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Additional optional benefits including legal, accident and pet insurance
About the Position
FreeFrom is looking for a strategic, versatile, and seasoned Director of Development with at least 3 years of prior experience in this role to join our team. Working closely with the CEO and a team of two, this individual will drive and lead all fundraising efforts, building and executing a long-term fundraising vision and strategy to grow the organization. With a fundraising goal of $50MM over 5 years, the incoming director will establish a fundraising infrastructure that will support FreeFrom’s mission and growth.
The ideal candidate for this position is an experienced leader who is well-versed in fundraising strategies and is eager to work collaboratively to develop a strong comprehensive multi-year fundraising plan to champion FreeFrom’s mission.
Applications will be considered as they are submitted. Our positions remain open until filled.
- In close collaboration with the CEO, develop, execute and manage an annual fundraising development plan that aligns with FreeFrom’s strategic priorities and budget.
- Set fundraising goals and milestones and identify appropriate strategies to ensure revenue is diverse and sustainable.
- Oversee and lead all fundraising efforts and activities for foundation, corporate, individual, and social enterprise sectors.
- Identify, cultivate, and maintain strong relationships with new and existing funders, leading through all stages of the grant cycle.
- Work with the CEO to lead and manage the organization’s moves management pipeline of donors.
- Design, implement, and maintain adequate systems and processes to strengthen FreeFrom’s fundraising infrastructure. This will include overseeing the organization’s donor database and management system (Salesforce) and other fundraising software and tools.
- Engage in strategic decision-making, short and long-term strategic planning and development and implementation of organizational strategies, policies, and practices.
- Lead prospect research efforts on potential funders and maintain current donor profiles.
- Identify, steward, and meet with major donors and prospective board members in conjunction with the CEO.
- Create and execute a donor-related communications strategy.
- Develop and implement appropriate measurements and processes to track fundraising initiatives, efforts, and accomplishments.
- Serve as project lead for grant opportunities, overseeing proposal development, and supporting project related activities and financials, tracking relevant grant submission dates, benchmarks, and milestones.
- Work with the CEO to develop and maintain active and consistent engagement with the Board of Trustees.
- Oversee the planning, execution, and management of the annual Survivor Wealth Summit.
Qualifications / Requirements
- 3+ years in the role of Director of Development for an organization with an annual budget of $6MM+;
- Experience growing and leading a development team with a commitment to compassionate leadership and talent development;
- Demonstrated skill in developing and implementing strategies for solicitation, cultivation, and stewardship of individuals, corporations, foundations, and prospective board members;
- Extensive grant writing experience, and excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to tailor messages to clearly and persuasively communicate FreeFrom’s work to the public and various audiences;
- Ability to identify and research prospective major donors using all available resources, including foundations databases and records;
- Proficiency with donor / sales databases and software, specifically Salesforce, is a plus;
- Experience building and sustaining authentic and fruitful relationships with donors and supporters;
- Extensive individual donor stewardship strongly preferred;
- Exceptional organizational and administrative skills;
- Strong people skills, emotional intelligence, and ability to collaborate and work well with others;
- Proven commitment to advancing social justice (experience working in the movement against gender-based violence a plus);
- Must bring enthusiasm, creativity, patience, and flexibility to the work;
- Excellent organizational skills, with high accuracy and attention to detail;
- Ability to work quickly and adapt to evolving strategies and circumstances;
- Comfortable with taking risks and otherwise bucking trends and traditional approaches to fundraising and growth management;
- Commitment to FreeFrom’s mission, innovation, and the highest standards of activism; and,
- Strong advocacy skills and an egalitarian, feminist, survivor-centered philosophy.
Qualifications and requirements are not intended to exclude any candidates but rather give candidates an idea of what skills and abilities would help them excel in this position. Candidates do not have to meet all requirements and qualifications to apply if you believe you have the skill, experience, and passion to do this job.
How to Apply
Send a descriptive cover letter, resume, and 3 references to email@example.com as PDF attachments with the subject line “Director of Development Application”. Please include your name and preferred pronouns on all documents. In your cover letter, please speak to how your experience and qualifications match what we are looking for. Please also note: we will not contact your references without notifying you first.
Folks who are queer, trans, non-binary, people of color, parents, are/have been system impacted, have different abilities, are immigrants, and anyone who has experienced systemic oppression or gender-based violence are encouraged to apply.
Folks who are queer, trans, non-binary, people of color, disabled, parents, are/have been system impacted, are immigrants, and anyone who has experienced systemic oppression or gender-based violence are encouraged to apply.
We also encourage you to apply if this job sounds like a good fit for you and vice versa, even if you don’t feel as if you meet all the qualifications/requirements.
- The team reviews your application materials.
- If we choose to move forward with your application, we’ll invite you to participate in an initial 15-minute screening interview with one of our team members.
- You’ll participate in a 1-hour group interview with our Fundraising/Development team.
- You’ll participate in a 1-hour group interview with the 7 directors on our team.
- You’ll participate in a final 15-minute interview with the Founder and CEO.
- The team reviews all feedback.
- We make a final decision and notify you.
Remote in the U.S.
- Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis
- Anticipated start date: This position will remain open until filled. We are looking to fill the position immediately
Exempt, full-time position
- $150K starting salary non-negotiable
Position Reports To