FreeFrom is looking for an Operations Manager for a full-time position based in Los Angeles, California.
The FreeFrom team is made up of queer, trans, im/migrant, and BIPOC survivors. We envision a world in which all survivors are able to build the wealth and financial security necessary to support their individual, intergenerational, and community healing—enabling them to thrive.
At FreeFrom, we are already modeling the types of comprehensive support we are setting out to achieve through this work. We are committed to the financial security of survivors by paying all staff living-wage salaries, providing flexible work schedules, offering financial coaching and a savings matching program, designing survivor-informed practices, and actively engaging staff in the development of new policies and best practices. Starting from within, we are building an ecosystem of support rooted in respect for the wisdom of survivors who always know best what we need and how to innovate solutions to meet those needs.
FreeFrom is also a team of nimble innovators. We intentionally cultivate a spirit of creativity and experimentation in our work, understanding that we must be willing to try new approaches and apply new frameworks in order to solve a systemic problem like intimate partner violence.
About the Position
FreeFrom is looking for an Operations Manager to support our organizational health so that we can all thrive and bring our very best to our work. You see it as your priority to meet all administrative deadlines for the team. You have a passion for the details while appreciating and supporting FreeFrom’s mission, vision and program goals. You are relentless and laser-focused in taking initiative and following up on any operational task to ensure completion and success. You value thoroughness in your work and can also clearly communicate business priorities to the team and to partners, as needed. You see operations roles as central to maintaining excellent organizational health and necessary to providing excellent programs and services.
Applications will be considered as they are submitted. Our positions remain open until filled.
- Manage employee benefit programs and relationships with benefits vendors;
- Design, implement, maintain, and document standard policies, processes, and procedures for operations;
- Support the creation, maintenance, and implementation of organizational policies and procedures, including the Employee Handbook, in accordance with federal, state, and local requirements as well as organizational goals and priorities;
- Manage, coordinate, and advise all staff on policies, processes and procedures;
- Responsible for recruitment efforts including job posting, and preliminary screening of candidates;
- Manage onboarding of new staff;
- Plan and manage staff events, such as staff meetings, retreats, outings, etc;
- Plan, develop, and implement regular professional development opportunities and trainings for staff;
- Support the development and implementation of activities to cultivate a positive workplace culture;
- Manage the Gifted warehouse, including processes, supplies, layout, appearance, furniture & equipment;
- Work with brokers for insurance coverage and other business needs;
- Support ad hoc organizational needs as possible and appropriate;
- Support staff, as requested, to acquire approved hardware and software and facilitate support for training or technical issues; and
- Ensure project updates are documented in calendar and project management tools.
Qualifications / Requirements
- 2+ years experience as HR/Operations Manager, preferably in a nonprofit setting;
- Ability to supervise and support staff; able to work independently and with a high degree of confidentiality and sensitivity;
- Excellent verbal, written, and communication skills with a service-oriented work style;
- Extremely strong project and time management skills;
- Highly organized with excellent attention to detail and integrity;
- Strong initiative and diligent approach to work with limited supervision and ask for assistance;
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of and ability to perform using Internet software (Chrome, Safari), macOS (Apple operating system), Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), Google Suite (Gmail, Google Calendar, Docs, etc.), eSignature tools (Adobe Acrobat, DocuSign), accounting and expense/budget management software (QuickBooks), online payroll service, databases (Salesforce), and remote collaboration tools (Zoom, Dropbox, etc.);
- A valid California driver’s license, proof of automobile insurance, and safe driving record required;
- Mental acuity to perform the essential functions of this position in an accurate and timely fashion;
- Dexterity to use office equipment; the ability to sit and work at a desk for extended periods of time;
- Ability to speak, hear, and understand speech at normal room levels;
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals;
- Ability to write routine reports, and correspondence;
- Strong people skills, emotional intelligence, and ability to collaborate and work well with others;
- Must bring enthusiasm, creativity, patience, and flexibility to the work;
- Excellent organizational skills, with high accuracy and attention to detail;
- Ability to adapt to evolving strategies and circumstances;
- Comfortable with taking calculated risks and otherwise bucking trends and traditional approaches; and
- Commitment to FreeFrom’s mission, innovation, and the highest standards of activism.
Qualifications and requirements are not intended to exclude any candidates but rather give candidates an idea of what skills and abilities would help them excel in this position. Candidates do not have to meet all requirements and qualifications to apply if you believe you have the skill, experience, and passion to do this job.
How to Apply
Send a descriptive cover letter, resume, portfolio (if available), and the contact information for 3 professional references to Sonya Passi, Founder and CEO, via email at: email@example.com in a single PDF attachment with the subject line “Operations Manager”. Please include your name and preferred pronouns on all documents. Please speak to how your experience and qualifications match what we are looking for in this role in your cover letter. Please also note: we will not contact your references without notifying you first.
Folks who are queer, trans, non-binary, people of color, disabled, parents, are/have been system impacted, are immigrants, and anyone who has experienced systemic oppression or gender-based violence are encouraged to apply.
We also encourage you to apply if this job sounds like a good fit for you and vice versa, even if you don’t feel as if you meet all the qualifications/requirements.
Los Angeles, CA
- Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, beginning on April 11th, 2022
- Anticipated start date: This position will remain open until filled. We are looking to fill the position immediately
Exempt, full-time position
Salary and Benefits
- Benefits include:
- 100% covered health, vision and dental insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- 4-day work week
- Childcare support
- Gender-based violence paid and protected leave
- Unlimited paid vacation + 6 weeks office closures annually
- Unlimited menstrual leave
- 401k with a 5% employer match
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability
- Building wealth stipend
- Personal and professional growth stipend
- Technology stipend
- Vacation stipend
- Additional optional benefits including legal, accident and pet insurance
Position Reports To
Director of Finance and Operations