FreeFrom is looking for a Special Projects Manager for a full-time position based in Los Angeles, California.
The FreeFrom team is made up of queer, trans, im/migrant, and BIPOC survivors. We envision a world in which all survivors are able to build the wealth and financial security necessary to support their individual, intergenerational, and community healing—enabling them to thrive.
At FreeFrom, we are already modeling the types of comprehensive support we are setting out to achieve through this work. We are committed to the financial security of survivors by paying all staff living-wage salaries, providing flexible work schedules, offering financial coaching and a savings matching program, designing survivor-informed practices, and actively engaging staff in the development of new policies and best practices. Starting from within, we are building an ecosystem of support rooted in respect for the wisdom of survivors who always know best what we need and how to innovate solutions to meet those needs.
FreeFrom is also a team of nimble innovators. We intentionally cultivate a spirit of creativity and experimentation in our work, understanding that we must be willing to try new approaches and apply new frameworks in order to solve a systemic problem like intimate partner violence.
About the Position
The Special Projects Manager will play a critically vital role, enabling our CEO to work most effectively with internal and external stakeholders and fulfill her commitments to our survivor community, staff, board members and donors. The role requires a highly resourceful individual with strong emotional intelligence, self-motivation, and strong analytical and project management skills.
Applications will be considered as they are submitted. Our positions remain open until filled.
- Facilitate and provide substantive support to ensure the effectiveness of all CEO’s interactions and engagements;
- Help strategic ideas take root and provide early facilitation until a more formal project is established;
- Manage development and implementation of key initiatives, such as conferences and strategic planning;
- Develop and maintain an inventory of critical path projects for which the CEO’s awareness and involvement is essential;
- Ensure the CEO is fully prepared for all internal and external engagements with plenty of lead time, working closely with relevant team members and other internal stakeholders;
- Conduct and coordinate special research and writing for the CEO and produce substantive briefings as needed;
- Prepare slides for presentations and speaking engagements;
- Research, collect and prepare information for the CEO’s use in discussions or meetings with potential donors and key stakeholders;
- Collaborate with the CEO to support overall board engagement, relationship management and overall board communications;
- Assist in the development and planning of the annual Board strategy retreat;
- Prepare briefing memos and timely updates for the CEO on key initiatives and outstanding projects, identifying variations from schedule and/or scope, developing contingencies and suggesting remedies.
- As needed, prepare first drafts of announcements, correspondence, memos and emails and serve as a reviewer of correspondence;
- Research and prepare prospect briefs to prepare staff for donor stewardship;
- Coordinate email and mailing efforts including thank you notes, acknowledgements, special event invitations, etc;
- Maintain Salesforce data on individual donors
- Partner with our digital and communications teams to develop compelling funder proposals;
- Develop materials and processes for updating our partners, elected officials, funders, etc. about our work;
- Work in collaboration with our senior team to write and send those updates; and
- Assist the CEO with special research projects, particularly items that do not clearly fit into the purview of a single department.
Qualifications / Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience;
- Strong instincts, emotional intelligence and strategic thinking skills are essential;
- Ability to work independently entailing a high degree of responsibility;
- Acumen and finesse to handle complex situations and multiple responsibilities simultaneously mixing long-term projects with the urgency of immediate demands;
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with integrity and discretion, exercising sound judgment, and being proactive;
- Demonstrated analytical skills and ability to understand data and effectively identify, analyze, and solve problems;
- Project management skills including excellent time management, task management and organization, and strong attention to detail;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills;
- A strong ability to adapt to changing circumstances and comfort with iteration in order to find effective solutions;
- Unwavering integrity and trustworthiness, with a proven ability to exercise independent judgment, problem solving and discretion; deep sensitivity to maintaining confidential information;
- Experience working in advocacy fundraising or donor relations, particularly raising from major donors or foundations is a plus;
- Ability to speak, hear, and understand speech at normal room levels;
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals;
- Ability to write routine reports, and correspondence;
- Strong people skills, emotional intelligence, and ability to collaborate and work well with others;
- Must bring enthusiasm, creativity, patience, and flexibility to the work;
- Excellent organizational skills, with high accuracy and attention to detail;
- Ability to adapt to evolving strategies and circumstances;
- Comfortable with taking calculated risks and otherwise bucking trends and traditional approaches;
- Commitment to FreeFrom’s mission, innovation, and the highest standards of activism.
Qualifications and requirements are not intended to exclude any candidates but rather give candidates an idea of what skills and abilities would help them excel in this position. Candidates do not have to meet all requirements and qualifications to apply if you believe you have the skill, experience, and passion to do this job.
How to Apply
Send a descriptive cover letter, resume, portfolio (if available), and the contact information for 3 professional references to Sonya Passi, Founder and CEO, via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org in a single PDF attachment with the subject line “Operations Manager”. Please include your name and preferred pronouns on all documents. Please speak to how your experience and qualifications match what we are looking for in this role in your cover letter. Please also note: we will not contact your references without notifying you first.
Folks who are queer, trans, non-binary, people of color, disabled, parents, are/have been system impacted, are immigrants, and anyone who has experienced systemic oppression or gender-based violence are encouraged to apply.
We also encourage you to apply if this job sounds like a good fit for you and vice versa, even if you don’t feel as if you meet all the qualifications/requirements.
Los Angeles, CA
- Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, beginning on April 11th, 2022
- Anticipated start date: This position will remain open until filled. We are looking to fill the position immediately
Exempt, full-time position
Salary and Benefits
- Benefits include:
- 100% covered health, vision and dental insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- 4-day work week
- Childcare support
- Gender-based violence paid and protected leave
- Unlimited paid vacation + 6 weeks office closures annually
- Unlimited menstrual leave
- 401k with a 5% employer match
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability
- Building wealth stipend
- Personal and professional growth stipend
- Technology stipend
- Vacation stipend
- Additional optional benefits including legal, accident and pet insurance
Position Reports To